Tuesday, July 3, 2012

July 3, 2012

another 95+ degree day here on the farm with no rain.....again....it was raining all around us.....but none here forcasted until Saturday (we will believe it when we see it).
72 of  83 Michigan counties have been declared a disaster by the crazy weather this year......we have had 90 - 95% fruit loss in the state of Michigan.... in the northern part of Michigan we grow 85% of the tart cherries sold in the United States...as far as I know that was a complete loss this year....

at the farm....we have NO fruit .....the apples, peach, pear, cherries, strawberries, berries are all gone...anything that survived the weird March temps and then the frosts in April couldn't handle the heat.....so no jellies or applesauce this year....bummer!!!

I always try to find the silver lining (or as I call it...the SHINY SIDE of things) when times are tough...as I was weeding the garden this evening....to my surprise.....I found 3 cucumbers over 6 inches long....YEAH!!!!


they will taste GREAT in a salad tomorrow when our son Joe and his family come for the 4th!!!

I did do some checking.....the earliest we ever canned cucumbers (pickles) is July 25th...so these are about 3 weeks early.....that seems to be the common theme this year.

Pleasant Dreams!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment